I was absolutely delighted last week when my review copy of Debbie Bliss’s latest knitting book dropped through the letterbox, kindly sent to me by Quadrille Publishing Ltd. I’d only seen the fabulous front cover and couldn’t wait to see what knitted delights awaited me. I have to admit that Debbie Bliss is one of my favourite designers. I have quite a few of her books and magazines and her yarns are amongst the best to work with (in my humble opinion). I was hoping that her latest addition would live up to my expectations, and to my relief, it did and here’s my review:
Knits for you and your home
Hardback published March 14th. 2013 by Quadrille Publishing Ltd
Enticing new collection of 30 hand knit projects from world-renowned designer Debbie Bl
RRP £18.99 (however, you can find it cheaper on most book selling websites)
Knits for you and your home is a whimsical treasure trove of 30 creative knits, ranging from quick and easy projects that can be made in just a couple of days, to larger pieces that are longer term projects. Whatever you choose to knit, you can be sure it will become a treasured addition to your home or wardrobe.
The aim of the book is to entice you away from the projects you are knitting for others and make something beautiful for yourself. Hence the book is divided into 4 aptly named chapters with titles that will draw you in with excitement – Indulge, Cocoon, Pamper and Detox. Each chapter contains a variety of projects, from cosy homewares and accessories to casual garments and jewellery. Already, I want to make them all and decorate my home with knitted loveliness.
All projects use Debbie Bliss’s sumptuous yarns, including my favourites – baby cashmerino, cotton dk and rialto aran. Colour schemes are beautifully muted tones throughout, with a splash of colour here and there to catch your attention. There’s a handy list of yarns at the beginning of the book, so you can check yarn weights and tension just in case you need to subsititute yarns, depending on your budget.
I will be knitting quite a few projects from the book when time allows, and here are my favourites:
- The stunning and elegant beaded cushion. I can’t wait to have a go at the bead detail which is added at the end.
- pretty beaded lavender hearts – these will be perfect for my friend’s wedding. I’m delighted that she’s asked me to knit some hearts for her table centre pieces.
- The comforting armchair throw in luxurious purple with a red trim – although I may make it in different tones.
- These chunky cabled socks to keep my feet toasty and warm
- The elegant chevron cushion cover with it’s zingy zig-zag design. Perhaps I’ll use monochrome shades or muted tones.
- and last but not least the pouffe – I’m desperate to knit this utterly gorgeous pouffe, although it may be a while before I tackle this as it takes 21 balls of yarns – I’ll have to set up a pouffe fund!!!
I hope you really enjoy Debbie’s latest book – it’s really lovely to browse and choose what knitted luxuries you’re going to create for yourself. And here’s the best thing:
I’m offering this book as a giveaway.
Just leave a comment below as to what you love to knit for yourself if you had the time and could buy any yarn.
The competition will close in two weeks, midnight on Monday 20th. May 2013. Entries will be compiled into a database and a random number drawn on Tuesday 21st. May.
Happy Knitting and good luck xx