"Bracken" Men's Scarf - free knitting pattern and colour change tutorial

I had great plans last year to make lots of handmade Christmas presents. I didn't make lots, but the few I did make were lovely and really well received, especially this stylish men's scarf that's super easy to make.



All you need is 100g of chunky yarn in a solid colour plus 100g of variegated chunky yarn (so that's 200g in total). You can use either 5.5 or 6mm needles. I used 5.5mm needles.


I only had 200g of yarn in my stash, but it was the perfect length - great for tucking into a coat. Of course you could make it longer if you have more yarn.


The houndstooth check appearance is made by knitting a broken rib pattern and working 2 rows in the variegated yarn followed by 2 rows in the solid colour. So it's really simple and great to work on whilst your watching the TV or listening to the radio. Plus, the great thing about ribbed patterns is that the back looks just as good as the front.

I found 4 x 50g balls of yarn in my stash:
2 skeins of Noro Silk Garden Chunky (Col 04) - this is Yarn A
2 balls of Bergere de France Magic+ (Shade 20868 Bivouac) - this is Yarn B

Instructions:
Cast on 33 sts in Yarn A using 5.5mm needles (or 6mm needles).
Row 1: Knit the first stitch, *Purl 2 stitches, Knit 2 stitches then repeat from * all the way to the end of the row.
Row 2: Purl the first stitch,  *Knit 2 stitches, Purl 2 stitches then repeat from * all the way to the end of the row. 
Next, join  Yarn B  as follows: first, place the tail end of Yarn B underneath Yarn A:


Tie Yarn B around Yarn A:


and push the knot the the top of Yarn A.


Next, using Yarn B, repeat Rows 1 and 2 once more.
Drop Yarn B, pick up Yarn A and repeat Rows 1 and 2.
Drop Yarn A, pick up Yarn B then repeat Rows 1 and 2.
Continue in this way, working two rows in each colour until your yarn is used up (ending with 2 rows in Yarn A to match the cast on edge).


And there you have it - a manly scarf that is perfect for a cold winter's day. You could make one for a female friend too in more feminine colours.

I hope you've enjoyed my tutorial - I'd love to hear what you think and I'd love to see your scarves.


Happy Knitting, Lynne x

Comments

  1. Hi I really want to try their pattern but would like a bit of a thinner Scraf how can I reduce the stitches, shud they be cast on odd number just? Thanks anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the number of stitches should be a multiple of 4, plus 1 extra, so try either 29, or 25 sts. Alternatively, keep the same number of stitches and use thinner yarn, such as aran or dk weight. Good luck :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, this pattern 's on my wish list. . Gonna knit this soon but kindly tell me one thing does the pattern has a smooth edge if not slIping 1st st n knitting last stitch sud do.??? Can u pore in ur comment on this. TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks for your comment, I personally do not slip the first stitch, I just pull the yarn nice and tight when I've knitted the first stitch, which keeps a neat edge. However, I know that some people do get loose stitches on the edges of their knitting, so you could slip the first stitch to avoid this - slip the stitch purlways (as if to purl). On Row 1 slip the stitch with the yarn at the back of work, then bring it forward between the needles ready to purl the next 2 sts. On Row 2, slip the stitch with the yarn at the front then take the yarn to the back ready to knit the next 2 sts. I hope this helps you, best wishes, Lynne

      Delete

Post a Comment